Small Group Tour Ideas in Melbourne
The Scienceworks of Melbourne is overflowing with things and ideas to challenge everyone's curious minds. It first opened its doors to the public in 1992 showcasing applied technology of the gigantic machines, vast collections of immersive exhibitions, electrifying theatre in the Lightning room, and the deep space of the Melbourne Planetarium. Scienceworks is located in Spotswood, Victoria and across the century–old historic Pumping Station.
If you need group transportation going to Scienceworks, Travel Safe Coach Hire will be your perfect partner for your group transportation needs. They can provide your group a low–cost minibus hire in Melbourne that you will be sure to enjoy the benefits of having comfortable and private travel the entire trip. Read the testimonial page of Travel Safe to learn what other people say about their particular experiences with Travel Safe services.
When it comes to Scienceworks, they made learning science into a fun and interactive experience for everyone. They even have numerous programs to provide knowledge for those inquiring minds of both young and adult interested in science. Here are the available programs:
School Programs and Resources
The Scienceworks school programs and resources staff can provide professional learning experiences for all year levels from kindergarten to tertiary. These are Scienceworks current programs available to select from:
- Ground up: Building big ideas, together – Good for level K to F.
- Make, solve, create – Good for level K to F.
- Beyond Perception: Seeing the unseen – Good for level 7 to 12.
- Above and beyond – Good for level 3 to 12.
- Invisible light – Good for level 7 to 11.
- Light Time for school groups – Good for level 5 to 12.
- What's with the weather? – Good for level F to 2.
- Planetarium sleepovers – Good for level F to 6.
- Capturing the cosmos – Good for level 7 to 11.
- Roller coaster engineer – Good fort level 3 to 10.
- Introduction to robotics – Good for level 3 to 6.
- Robots and coding – Good for level 6 to 10.
- Electricity, magnets and movement – Good for level 5 to 10.
- Design a Martian mover – Good for level 3 to 6.
- Electrical energy, safety and lightning – Good for level 2 to 6.
- Solar system odyssey – Good for level 5 to 7.
- Tycho to the moon – Good for level F to 3.
- Tilt – Good for level 3 to 7.
- Ticket to the universe – Good for level 9 to 10.
- Starlight – Good for level 7 to 11.
- Stories in the stars – Good for level 5 to 10.
- Blast off – Good for level 1 to 4.
- Cool stuff – Good for level 3 to 6.
- Earth, moon, and sun – Good for level 3 to 6.
- Get pumped – Good for level 3 to 10.
- Toys and forces show – Good for level F to 2.
- Sporty maths – Good for level 4 to 7.
- Sportsworks: secondary – Good for level 7 to 10.
- Think ahead – Good for level 4 to 10.
- Sportsworks: primary – Good for level F to 6.
- VCE electricity – Good for level 11 to VCE.
- Black Holes – Good for level 9 to 11.
- Our living climate – Good for level 5 to 10.
- To space and back – Good for level 5 to 10.
- Year 11 Physics: the Universe – Good for level 11.
- The problem with Pluto – Good for level 5 to 7.
If your group decides to stay overnight or perhaps a little longer, you can choose from these outstanding accommodations in Melbourne.
The Scienceworks staff can provide their expertise and resources in creating professional learning opportunities. This program is intended for the professional development of teachers and tailored to suit school curriculum for all year levels from preschoolers to university students.
Scienceworks variety of professional learning development can be organised from incorporating staff–led workshops to project design and problem–based challenges, teacher and student co–learning models, and exhibition explorations.
The educational team have expertise in STEM(science, technology, engineering, mathematics), physics, astronomy, and digital technologies. To guarantee up–to–date professional learning opportunities, their STEM programs are partnered with most of the biggest brands in the industry of Victoria. Here are some of the professional learning topics available:
- Robotics and coding
- STEM innovation and projects
- Creative and critical thinking
- Magnetism and electricity
When your group gets hungry going around the Scienceworks, you can select any of these fantastic restaurants in Melbourne that provides great options and serves amazing dishes.
STAR 6 school subsidy
The Victorian Education Department initiate the STAR 6 program to provide science enrichment learning experience for level 6 students. It is agreed upon to subsidise the travel and entry cost in Melbourne Planetarium or Lightning room at Scienceworks for one school excursion per year. The travel subsidy is available to all areas of metropolitan, rural and regional schools for the transportation cost of year 6 students to and from Scienceworks.
For detailed information on the STAR 6 school subsidy program, visit Scienceworks website.
MV Teachers Network
Professional education teachers in schools around Victoria and can gain access to MV(Museum Victoria) teachers network. By simply signing up to their FREE online services, teachers can easily access all museums and education services to help them plan school excursions. Once teachers registered an account, they will have benefits such as:
- A FREE general entry to Scienceworks, Melbourne Museum and Immigration Museum.
- Invitations to the previews of MV exhibitions, exclusive professional learning opportunities and IMAX films.
- A monthly education e–newsletter of Museum Victoria
- One FREE show per the calendar year in both Melbourne Planetarium and Lighting Room of Scienceworks.
- Get ticket discounts for IMAX Melbourne educational films.
- A 10% discount in the shops of Museum Victoria.
The surrounding areas of Melbourne are home to many of finest vineyards. Why not taste some of these exquisite wines whilst visiting.
The Planetarium at Scienceworks offers sleepover programs for any groups from 20 up to 60 primary age students. The students will have structured activities as well as Planetarium show during the sleepover.
The Scienceworks sleepover program starts at 7pm and ends 9.45am the next morning. At 10am, the normal visiting hours will start and an option to stay for the morning program is available but will incur additional charges.
If your group needs more family outdoor activities, there are plenty of world–renowned outdoor attractions Melbourne can offer.
The Outreach Program is a traveling “museum in a van” and is also a loan kit service. It is to provide a viewing opportunity in some of the museum’s collection for those people having difficulty visiting. It could be for the reason of age, condition or geographical location.
Outreach Program have several diverse programs in providing access to some of the museum’s collection and expertise like:
- Kindergarten presentations
- Learning kits
- Reminiscing kits
- Adult presentations
- The Federation Handbells
Your group might want to consider going to some of the most popular destinations for an excellent day out in Melbourne.
Tickets and Schedule
Scienceworks is open daily (except Good Friday and Christmas Day) from 10am to 4.30pm. Ticket price for entry is:
- Adult – $14
- Children (3 to 16 years) – FREE of charge
- Concession – FREE of charge
For more information of general entry prices, visit Scienceworks website.
There are many popular attractions and famous destinations to visit in Melbourne area. Here are some listings your group might consider going.
If your group require a private transportation to go to all of these places, Travel Safe offers a reliable minibus hire with driver in Melbourne so your group can easily get around and enjoy the whole travel. Contact them for a FREE quotation and for booking.